Friday, August 27, 2010

26 week appointment with specialist

Yesterday we had our appointment with Dr. A with an ultrasound.
I had to bring Dr. A up to speed with the deveolpments since last week, especially since our trip to the hospital on Monday.
The great news, again, was the babies look wonderful! The not so good news is that my cervix has shortened :( It is not critical at this time. However, Dr. A says it is not something you typically should see until around 35 weeks :(
After speaking to her about the contractions...that I have ~10/hr with no meds; ~8/hr with 2.5 mg of Terbutaline; and ~6/hr with 5 mg of Terbutaline.....she asked if I was having side effects from the Terbut. Well of course I told her about the anxiety, shaking, headaches, etc. She said she does not like the med due to all of that and so she decided to switch me to 2 mgs of Albuterol every 6 hours when awake. Her theory was that it is longer lasting and maybe we can get me to ~6 contractions/hr....an even keel.
So, when I got my new Albuterol yesterday eve at 7:30, I took it and did not think about it again. Yes I could still feel the contrations but I never counted them. To be honest, I despise counting them. Truth is....it agravates me when I count them because it makes me mad how very often my belly hardens and it makes me worry and be sad :( So, I just went to sleep. When I woke up this morn. I could tell that the contractions were still there...obviously...they did not vanish. I then took another pill at 7 am. Around 8 I started counting for 30 minutes. In those 30 minutes, I had 5 contractions!!!! Here we go again...that makes ~10/hour. So since it was 8:30, I put a call in to my OBGYN, Dr. T.
After speaking with Dr. T, the nurse called me back and said that Dr. T would like me to stay on Albuterol, 2 mg, every 4 hours around the clock and to not monitor the contractions all the time, just certain points of the day. I truly think they think I'm counting these around the clock....little do they know that I count them maybe twice a day and HATE IT! They told me to relax.....ok, right! and to let them know if there are more than 6 and hour. Ok, let's think about this. If I have taken one this morning and have 5 in 30 minutes.....HELLO. Ok, fine, I will listen to them and do as they say. So, I asked, should I do this for this weekend and let you know if I have more than 6 an hour and then call on Monday? The nurse said NO! you need to call us. OMG....to call or not to call ever....that is the true question! So, we agreed that I would call back today at 4pm to tell them how my 3 doses today went. My main thing is to figure something out b/c it is FRIDAY and if I have to call this weekend it will be to a doc on call that is not mine and I will have to start from scratch with them :( UGH!
So, I will see what today holds and give them a call at 4. I'm pretty sure they will put me back on Terbutaline, 5mg, around the clock if this Albuterol does not work. Why? Because that was the only thing...so far...that got my contractions down to 6/hr.

So, that is the scoop my friends! Please keep the prayers coming that I can get these to chunky monkies to October! I'll take anything. It would be a crying shame for them to be perfect and have to come out early due to contractions causing my cervix to thin or dialate :(

Here are the pics from yesterday :)
Baby A is still more photogenic. Baby B still hides. But, Dr. A was awesome at catching these pics especially when they both are facing away at my back bone! The tech could not even get any pics for me :(

No comments: