Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Trip to the Hospital

Well our time had come yesterday when we made our first trip to the hospital :( Since our appointment last Wednesday, when I first discovered via Dr. T that I was having a contraction, I started being able to notice them....barely. On Sunday eve, around 8:45, while I was sitting reclined in the recliner I noticed I had 5 in 30 minutes. After putting Ben to bed, I laid down in the bed and still 5 in 30 minutes. I decided to go to sleep and just call first thing Monday morning. I spoke to the on-call doctor and was told to go labor and delivery at Women's Hospital. So Randy and I got there and got checked in. Once on the monitors, we found out that both babies were doing great, phew, and that I was indeed not crazy and having contractions. The nurse said they were true contractions and needed to be slowed down. So she gave me one shot, don't remember the name, and said that if in 15 min's the contractions did not stop and if my heart rate (BPM) was under 120, then she could give me a second shot. Well, I needed the second shot and got it. After another 15 minutes, the contractions were still there, although fewer, but my heart rate was 122 and she could not give me the 3rd shot. So, she ok'ed with Dr. T to give me the pill Terbutaline. Which would be longer lasting but take longer to get into my system. I had 2 to 3 contractions the hour after the Terbutaline. Dr. t then came and examined me and told me that, thankfully, my cervix is completely closed, with NO dialation, and I carrying the babies well :) YEAH!
So, she sent me home with a script of Terbutaline as needed. I have been told to take it if I have 6 or more contractions in an hour.

Well, that did not take long because I did by last night :( So, I took one and went to sleep. Now this morning I'm about to take another one. Common sense tells me that the shots yesterday were only temporary and were done to see how I responded to them. Luckily I responded well. However, I think the contractions are here to stay :( So, it is a wait and see from here on out. I anticipate being put on this dose or a higher one around the clock. But, we will see how today and tomorrow goes. I have an appointment with Dr. A on Thursday. So, she will be doing an ultrasound on me which will tell them even more and confirm that my cervix is still doing well :) I'm sure they will probably do some med changes at that time....if not before.
Thank you all for your wonderful prayers as always!!! Please keep them up!!!

I am officially on bedrest as of today. I cannot see my work email any longer. So, please email me on my personal yahoo account instead. If you'd like to chat, you've got my number :)

Until next post.........take care :)

1 comment:

Mele G said...

Keep up the good work Jennifer, relax as much as you can. Take care, we miss you :)